Active Leaders & Health Professionals
Older adults with muscle weakness, balance or gait deficiencies are three to five times more likely to fall within a twelve month period than those without. There is evidence that community group strength and balance training can reduce falls by nearly 30%.
ACC and Sport Taranaki are committed to reducing the incidence and severity of falls in older adults. We are looking for keen individuals and organisations with an interest in this area who are interested in setting up new or modifying existing classes for older adults.
Benefits of Becoming a Strength and Balance Leader:
- Help older adults stay independent and well at home
- Free training and support (this includes initial training and First Aid training to meet programme criteria approval, provision of ongoing support, refresher and upskilling workshops every 6 months)
- Face to face and phone support as required
- Access to resources including class plans, equipment ideas and circuit cards to help aid fun and variety
- Support to meet Health and Safety requirements
- Support to provide participants. Approved classes will be part of a referral pathway through health professionals
- Opportunity to join a network of leaders
- Free class promotion through Sport Taranaki and other supporting partners
Get involved and support our older adults in gaining not only increased strength and balance but an array of health benefits, confidence, new social connections and friendships.
Find out how to become an accredited Strengthen & Balance provider by contacting Hilary Blackstock at Sport Taranaki.