What is Green Prescription?
A Green Prescription is a health professional's written advice to a patient to be physically active, as part of the patient's health management. Green Prescription provides support and motivation to increase your physical activity levels. Sport Taranaki’s Green Prescription team supports being active as an opportunity to enhance physical, mental and social wellbeing. This free service provides the guidance to get started - and get active, whether you are new or returning to physical activity.
To be eligible for a Green Prescription, your client must be:
- 18 years or over
- Inactive (engaged in less than 30 minutes of moderate activity five or more days of the week)
- Motivated to increase their level of activity
- Medically stable
- Able to engage in low to moderate physical activity
- Have discussed and consented to receive support.
Who can refer
Referrals can be made by e-referral, fax or written:
Medical Centre with Medtech
- Please use e-referral process
Medical Centre without Medtech
- Please send referral through to Green Prescription email address [email protected]
Other Health Professionals
- Use online referral form
- If unable to access this please use GRx prescription pads (contact Sport Taranaki 067590930 ext 714 if you require these)
- When your referral is received at Sport Taranaki it will be allocated to a Sport Taranaki green prescription advisor.
- An introductory letter will be sent out and our aim is to make contact with your patient with 10 days of referral.
- Consultation and support will be offered with phone calls, emails, text or face to face meetings over the next 3-4 month period.
- Renewals of prescriptions for ongoing support are available.
- A discharge summary letter will be sent to the referrer at time of discharge.
Support provided by Sport Taranaki’s Green Prescription team
- Individual consultation via phone or face to face
- Activity programme plans suited to the client's needs
- Ongoing support calls over a 3 – 4 month period
- Links and discounts with local activity providers
- Client's progress is reported back to the referring health professional at time of discharge.